It’s Canada’s Birthday today and boy is it a big one – 150 years since the confederation that gave birth to my beautiful home. Obviously, the land itself and our first nations people have been here for a lot longer (thousands of years longer) and not everyone is choosing to celebrate today, which I can completely understand. Canada is not a perfect place. There is a lot we need to improve upon and a great deal more restitution owed.
Despite this, I am still proud to be Canadian and I love my country and I am excited to celebrate its milestone!
So, in honour of the day, here are a few things I feel make me Canadian:
- My consistent use of the word “Eh” in every day conversation
- My ability to start a perfect campfire with only 1 match (thanks Dad)
- How I can recognize drift wood cut by a beaver a mile away
- My deep love for maple syrup (and not just on pancakes – throw some of that on ice cream!)
- My general passion for the great out doors
- My innate knowledge of what to do if I encounter a bear
- My first hand knowledge of just how big and scary moose are
- The fact that I’m a grown up and I still own snowpants. -35C I’m ready for you.
- My appreciation for very long distance drives.
- And of course, if you bump into me, cut me off, or do something generally rude or inconsiderate towards me I will likely apologize to you.
And here are some of my all time “Meanwhile In Canada” moments:
Happy Birthday Canada!!